Monday, June 8, 2009

Semantics

Instead of saying "we're going camping... again", I'm going to start saying "we're going on a Homeschooling Field Study this weekend." Doesn't that sound far more important? I think it makes us sound less like slackers who love hanging out in the woods and more like responsible homeschooling parents, always on the search for new ways to educate our children.

To prove my point, here are a few photos from our most recent Homeschooling Field Study in Paonia, CO.

In four days, we covered a wide range of topics. Physical education, of course, in the form of "rock climbing", walking back and forth to the toilet eleventeen times a day and pleasant strolls through fields full of grasshoppers.

There were several botany lessons:



And life science:



Actually, there was a robin's nest in our camp site (not this nest) that still had baby robins in it. We got to watch the mama and daddy come back repeatedly throughout the day with more food for the babies.

Canoeing counts as physics, doesn't it?



And of course, art and textiles:



Charlotte Mason was a big proponent of Nature Studies - giving children their freedom to explore nature close up without getting too involved as a teacher/parent. (Thanks Katey, for showing me the wonders of Charlotte Mason!) We had plenty of opportunity for Nature Studies.

See? So we're not just always going on vacation. We're working hard to provide our children with an excellent, hands-on education. As Chloe said, "This is the lifetime!"

~There are several more pictures on my Facebook for those interested. I didn't figure I ought to load down my blog with three dozen pictures of my adorable children.~






2 comments:

Mama Kautz said...

you are so welcome! I just turned another GF onto CM and we are going to learn canning together...of course after going out to pick the fruit :)

Just Me said...

sounds perfectly reasonable to me. Kids learn a lot from experiencing the world.

To Crazy Homeschool Mama, canning is fun!! Great way to spend a day or two and stretch your budget. Plus you have tasty canned fruit during the winter. You'll probably love it. I know I do, though it's been a couple years since I have done it.