Monday, October 3, 2011

Coring Pears the Easy Way

Every once in awhile, I come across some utterly fabulous tip for making kitchen work easier. My friend Katie passed this one on to me, and I'm forever grateful!

If you've ever tried coring pears, you'll know that it's tedious work. Of course, it's not bad if you're only coring a pear or two, but if you happen to need to remove the cores from forty pounds of pears, it can be slow going.

Unless you've got a melon baller.

Just cut the pear in half and use the melon baller to scoop out the core. It makes for the prettiest pear halves you've ever seen, and it's about a million times faster than trying to use a knife.

Do feel free to share any other ingenious kitchen shortcuts here - I'm all ears! :-)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

LOVE that idea! Thank you! No mellon baller, and no pears yet this year, but if I get any, I'll be sure to find one!

Wendy said...

this is perfect. I just got a bunch of the little sekel pears a traditional corer would remove half the pear!