Friday, February 24, 2012

The School Room... and a Distraction

I was going to write a post about our school room today, but when I was in there taking photos, I looked out the window and saw this:

Aren't they fun? They're in the house over at the corner of our gate. Should've been teaching a history lesson, but watching the birds flit and fight and fuss was a lot more fun. This whole property seems to be filled with impromptu nature study, if we just keep an eye out for it.

===
But enough distraction. Here's the school room:


It's unpacked enough that it's (barely) functional. I'm still deciding how I want all the books and supplies arranged.

We were blessed early in our marriage by a friend giving us all the homeschool books she'd used for her own kids... many were books that had been passed from my husband's family to hers, and so she was just passing them back on to us. It's a veritable treasure trove of texts, biographies, workbooks, and other wonderful teaching bits. Previously, they were all stored in the basement. Now, they are accessible whenever we need something.

This is especially helpful since we experienced the library in The Tiny Little Town yesterday. It's about the size of my new kitchen. We'll be even more glad for all these books now!

I'm looking forward to getting a coat of paint on the walls, and getting some maps and posters hung up. It may take awhile to get it how I'd like it, but it should be a cozy and functional school room when I'm finished.

Wish I could tell you how excited I am to have a room where we can do our school. The living room was all we had before, and I sure got tired of the desks and piles of books laying all over the floor. At least now they are contained, and the door can be shut!

No comments: