Thursday, November 4, 2010

Plan B

Well, big game hunting seasons are all over for us now, and no elk. Or bear. Thankfully, he brought home a doe one evening, so there is 40 pounds of venison in the freezer. Poor guy spent a LOT of time driving and hiking in the mountains to no avail aside from that one deer. And one deer won't feed us all winter like a big elk (or two) would have. I'm proud of him for trying though. You win some, you lose some, right?

So that means we move forward with Plan B. If we won't be able to eat wild game all winter, we'll start calling around to find a good price on a healthy, grass fed beef. There's a huge upside to buying half a beef: it's already processed. We don't have to stand in a barn for twelve hours cutting meat off of a carcass. We don't have to grind our own ground either, a process that takes at least another 12 hours, if not longer.

With the twenty five pounds of the venison we intend to grind, I'll make more homemade sausage. The sausage is the most important to me of everything - have you ever seen the price of natural, nitrite- and nitrate-free sausage? It's outrageous, and oh man, I love sausage! I'll share the recipe soon.

If all else fails and we really can't find a healthy beef to buy? Well, I guess there's always Plan C: become vegetarian. But I think my family would protest.

So what do y'all do about meat, if wild game isn't an option? Would love to hear how everyone else is faring this fall with getting meat put by.

6 comments:

Anke said...

I found a local guy who sells grass fed beef as well as pork. He sells the pork all cut up and you just pick what you want. He has everything from bacon to pork chops to roasts. He is still doing the same for beef, but is trying to get away from that. Instead he wants to go to custom orders, which means you have to at least get "half a cow". Since we don't have the freezer space for that, we are trying to find friends who'd like to go in with us and share the meat.

Julie said...

Anke, that sounds like a great idea! Very cool that you were able to find someone local, it seems like it's hard to do sometimes.

Kim said...

Mmmmm I dont normally like sausage, but I like deer sausage! I had friends in Texas that hunt, kill and process their own meet, and sausage was one of the things they insisted on cooking up for us when we were there and it was so good!

Anonymous said...

I live in Chicago. I go to the store, I buy meat. Done. ;-)
Hubby would love to have a freezer full of venison or some other meat like that, but it's not gonna happen.
Hugs, Jan
(who thinks the Halloween costumes were adorable!)

Wendy said...

that would be a great challenge to try to almost "trick" your family into eating less meat (like frozen then defrosted tofu for example).

What an interesting experience to be a hunting family. I bet you all make such a historical connection when you hunt - the thrill of getting meat, plan b for when there's no meat. I wonder how your hubby feels when he comes back empty handed - and how that might compare to his hunter forefathers? Of course the reality is that there really is a plan b or c or d, and ancient people didn't always have back up plans, but I wonder if he's felt the same thing coming home to wife and children...

Anyway, I worked with this guy who was basically rich royalty from Senegal. He and his cousin would go get a side of beef all bloody and wrapped up in a plastic bag in the back of his BMW. He said he'd drive REAL slow cause 2 black guys in a BMW with a trunk full of bloody meat wrapped in plastic was not a good thing to have to explain to cops. I thought that was hilarious.

Anonymous said...

We raise our own beef, eggs, and milk. This year we plan to do a milk fed pig, and I hope to get some roaster type chickens. The egg chickens aren't quite worth the effort. We hunt elk and deer too. Hoping we might get a moose this year...