Monday, April 23, 2012

Crochet Pattern: Tri-colored Rose Barrette


Big hair flowers are in, right? This is one of those super-simple, insanely fast instant gratification sort of projects. I whipped this one up in about fifteen minutes for The Oldest to wear at the dance the other night. Pretty sure I could easily make one to match nearly all of her dresses using just my scrap stash, and she'd be thrilled to wear them. In fact, I might make a couple for myself.

And.... I even wrote the pattern out to share with you! Please note: I am not a pattern writer. There's a good chance there are mistakes here. If there are, let me know - I'll do my best to fix them. I just made this up for my own kids, but it was so darn cute I thought y'all might want one too.

Tri-colored Rose 

3 colors worsted weight yarn (I used scraps), size G crochet hook

With Color A:
Ch 8, sl st into 1st ch to form ring.

Rd 1: ch1, 16sc into ring, sl st to 1st ch to join.
Rd 2: ch5 (counts as 1 dc, 2ch) skip next sc, (1dc into next sc, skip 1 sc) around. Sl st into 3rd ch of beginning ch5 to join. (You should have 8 sections now.)
Rd 3: Sl st into 1st 2ch space. Ch 1, (1sc, 1hdc, 1dc, 1hdc, 1sc) into each section. (8 petals.) Break yarn, fasten off.

Rd 4 - with color B: On the back of your work, join color B into base of one of the dc. (Ch 3, skip 4 sts, sl st into base of next dc). Join at beg of rd. (8 base arches.)
Rd 5 - Sl st into 3ch arch, ch1, (1sc, 1hdc, 3dc, 1hdc, 1sc) into each arch. Join to sl st at beg of rd. Break yarn, fasten off.

Rd 6 - with color C: Again at the back of your work, join color C into the base of a center dc of a 3 dc group. (Ch 5, skip 6 sts, sl st into base of next center dc.) Join at beg of rd. (8 base arches.)
Rd 7 - Sl st into first ch5 arch. Ch1, (1 sc, 1hdc, 5dc, 1hdc, 1sc) in each arch. Join to sl st at beg of rd. Break yarn, fasten off.

I used hot glue to attach an alligator clip to the back of the flower. Another option is to use a brooch pin. I found that attaching it slightly off center, on the back of the Color B rds, helped it hang nicely in the hair.

It would be easier to make this smaller (or larger) by either omitting the third color, or following the same pattern and adding another color.

No comments: