Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Oceans

Did you know Disney released a new movie in theaters on Earth Day?

Yeah, neither did anyone else, apparently. Or at least, anyone that I've talked to. I accidentally came across an advertisement for it on a website I was on, or I'd have no clue. But then, I have no idea what movies are out, since we don't really watch TV.

But anyway.

Oceans came out last Thursday in honor of Earth Day. I'm not the biggest supporter of Disney, but I thought that was kind of cool. I took Chloe to see it this afternoon, a big-girl's date with Mom.

The verdict? It was awesome. We both loved it. Now, I'm not sure every kid would love it - many would probably be bored to death. But I'm the mother of a child who is fascinated and enthralled with animals, and so this was right up her alley.

Other thoughts:

*It's amazing that anyone could catch all of that stuff on film. I have immense respect for the two guys that filmed it.

*Listening to Pierce Brosnan talk for an hour and a half makes the whole movie worthwhile.

*Watching birds eat baby sea turtles almost made me cry. Seriously. Did you know that only about one in a thousand baby sea turtles actually makes it to sea to live it's life? The rest are snacks for big, mean birds.

*I had to ask my daughter, more than once, what kind of animal it was that we were looking at. And she could tell me. I'm not sure if I ought to be ashamed, or proud.

*I never thought I'd be the kind of person who watches documentaries for fun. That would make me a dork. But I do, so I am.

*I can't believe how flipping expensive it is to go to the movies. I haven't been to the theater since the first Twilight came out (a year and a half ago?) I'm glad going to the movies isn't something I make a habit of, because the cost is outrageous. Thankfully, this one could be passed off as educational, which makes me feel a bit less guilty.





4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I took some of the grands to see "March of the Penguins" when it first came out. It was beautifully filmed, but geez, march, march, march.... and then march back. After laying some eggs that would freeze if exposed to the air for a second. Then more marching...lol.
I'm glad you enjoyed the Oceans movie. I'll wait for DVD, I think.
Has Chloe been watching the Life series on Discovery? It sounds like the oceans movie.
Jan
Julie, I just love checking in on your girlies. They're just gorgeous!)

Dani said...

Oooh, I should take Lilli. I wonder how long it will be in theaters. She LOVES all of the animal documentaries and stuff they show on Discovery.

Anke said...

My oldest went to see it with her class about two weeks ago and my youngest is going with her class today. Hannah (12) loved it, but also found it very sad. Like you mentioned the whole baby turtle thing... I can't wait to hear what Nadia (10) thought about the movie.

Mama Kautz said...

the circl of life when the wild animals eat prey etc. saddens me...will watch for this to come out on DVD...sounds great


did you ever get an email from Spelling City?