Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Wild Asparagus

On Sunday, my mom, the girls and I walked around their neighborhood and collected wild asparagus. They live out in farm country - there aren't many houses, mostly wheat and corn fields, and asparagus grows wild along the irrigation ditches.




We got about 4 pounds. Not bad! I brought it home and canned most of it yesterday, made hot pickled asparagus. Most people haven't heard of it, but everyone in my family loves it. I'm not sure yet how it turned out, you have to give it awhile to actually pickle, but hopefully it's good! 4 pounds of asparagus, and all I got was 4 quarts, plus enough fresh asparagus for a meal. It doesn't go very far.

I also turned a pound of peas into baby food, and have peaches to do today. I was a busy girl in the kitchen yesterday.

After I get my oil changed on the van today, we're supposed to take Chloe's friend Tori out to my mom's to see all the animals. After that, Jessica is supposed to come over so I can teach her how to cast off her knitting project (if she finishes it, that is.) I love teaching my friends to knit. Unfortunately, none of them are as sucked into it as I am yet. I've been working on a sweater of my own design, but I'm going to take a break from it and knit a scarf with some yummy silk-tweed yarn and a fun pattern I found on Ravelry.

Amazingly, I don't really have much to say right now! LOL We've just been so busy doing stuff outside. It's warming up again though, which means the bees and wasps will be out, so we might be stuck inside more of the day now, we'll see. I don't want to get stuff, and I really don't want my girls being stung. And those wasps are mean little suckers! :oP

One quick pic of little miss mobile:




No comments: