Tuesday, September 8, 2009

A cause for celebration

I take pride in being a pretty decent housewife. But there is one area where I have always been a complete failure: I cannot, and do not make pies.

I have horrid memories of trying to make an apple pie for my husband's birthday two years ago, throwing away two batches of less-than-perfect pie crust before finally succeeding in producing something that, if it didn't look like one, at least tasted like an apple pie.

But today, I have overcome my failure.

I made a pie.

Not just any ol' regular pie either, but a real pumpkin pie, made from Chloe's prized first pumpkin. ("Oh dear God, please don't let me screw this up! Not her pumpkin!"... but I had a can of pumpkin pie filling in the cupboard just in case.)

But I didn't need it! It turned out beautifully. So beautifully, in fact, that I felt the need to photograph it.



Twice.


Overcoming a personal shortcoming is a pretty good reason to celebrate, don'tcha think?

It's just a darn shame I don't like pumpkin pie. And after seeing firsthand the ingredients that go into it, there's no chance in heck I'm ever gonna taste it!

BTW: the crust is made with whole wheat flour - it's not burnt!

===

There's one other cause for celebration today... my hubby and I have been married for two years now. But that's not nearly as cool as the pie. ;o)

I'm kidding. Of course my anniversary is exciting. Happy Anniversary, honey. Love you!


4 comments:

Jan said...

Julie, I am soooo proud of you. At the ripe old age of 58, with four kids, a grandson and four dogs, I have yet to make a decent pie.

In fact, I told my older kids that it was illegal to make a pie in your home in the state of Pennsylvania (some union thing) and I think my daughter still believes me!

Happy anniversary!

Mama Kautz said...

BEAUTIFUL PIE wish I could taste it :)

Kim said...

Awesome Jules! and Happy Anniversary to you and Andrew!!

(on a side note, I was just thinking about how we are both married to Andrews... sometimes I forget my husband's full name LOL)

Just Me said...

Happy anniversary and congratulations on your mad pie-making skills!!

I actually make a pretty darn good pie crust. It's one of the few home-bodyish type things I actually do well.

And, by the way, you are seriously missing out. Pumpkin is the king of pies! Best kind there is!.