Saturday, March 6, 2010

Homemade Shampoo

Have you ever heard someone say that if you can't pronounce the ingredients, it's probably not good for you?



What's in your shampoo?

Propylene Glycol is horrendous stuff. Really, really bad. You can Google it, I'm not here to lecture you, but know that it's awful stuff. And it's the primary ingredient in shampoo.

We needed kid's shampoo yesterday, and we opted for following a recipe for "homemade shampoo" instead of buying more artificially scented Suave.



Ahh, yes, that's much better.

I followed this recipe. Easy stuff, much cheaper than the "eco friendly" brands at the stores. And when you're seven, or two, it's pretty cool to make. Total time involved is about 45 minutes, but 40 of those minutes are just waiting for the herbs to steep - that doesn't require your involvement.

The verdict? My hair felt fantastically clean last night after my shower - and now it's all shiny and soft. And Little One didn't complain of it burning her eyes. I'd say we have success.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's SO cool! I'm going to try it. Do you want my toothpaste recipe?
Tell Chloe she did a great job: I could understand most of what she was reading, even on the "bad stuff." You have a beautiful little reader, Mamma.

Wendy said...

kids were (both!) so cute on the video! I may try that shampoo recipe as well! I alwyas have castile soap on hand as that's what I use in the garden on annoying pests.