Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Classical Kids - a book

I saw a reference to Classical Kids: An Activity Guide to Life in Ancient Greece and Rome on the Simply Charlotte Mason forum. I found a copy of it for about half price on Amazon, so I went ahead and got it, and we love it. If you're working through a study of Greece, as I know a few of you are, definitely check out this book.

Yesterday, we read the story of Pandora and her box. Then we did an activity based on one found in the book:

First, you write down different things you can't change or do anything about, but would like to get rid of.



I added a couple of my own.



Then, you make a box (the pattern is provided in the book)



And then you put your bits of paper into the box and glue it shut, never to be opened again (no matter how curious you may be!)



We also made coiled pots out of some Sculpey clay I had lying around.



There are tons of ideas in this book - things that will bring Greece together with math, science, art, creative play, and of course, history. Definitely worth checking out!


1 comment:

Wendy said...

What an interesting activity about Pandora's box. Kind of makes you wonder if it'd be worth it to open it!