Tuesday, November 30, 2010

FO - The Menorah Pillow

I finished this a couple of weeks ago, but finally gave it to my mother-in-law for Hanukkah today and can share pictures of it.

I saw the pattern a couple of years ago, and have wanted to make it ever since. It just looked intriguing, with the cables and the 'flames' and such. It was a pleasure to knit, except for a few errors in the chart - anyone making this should be sure to look up the errata before beginning so they don't end up ripping rows out like I did.

Pattern: Menorah Pillow by Suzanne Atkinson from Handknit Holidays
Yarn: Red Heart Super Saver acrylic (super-durable so it'll last.)
Needles: size 7 straights

My finished project turned out to be 18"x18" instead of the 14"x14" that the pattern claimed to be. I didn't get gauge so this is probably my fault. Anyway, square pillows are easy to find in most even-inch sizes. I backed it with a cotton in a similar color, with three buttons holding it closed. Overall, I'm glad I finally gave in and made it, it was just enough of a challenge to follow an intricate cable chart while trying to parent small children that it kept me on my toes. :-)


2 comments:

Joan Miller said...

It is absolutely BEAUTIFUL ........it is amazing what my gifted and talented daughter in law can do!!!
I am soooo blessed and grateful!!!
Joan

Wendy said...

oh my gosh!!! THis is so gorgeous - and looks complicated. What a special gift for her. The pillow is really beautiful.