Sunday, July 24, 2011

Garden to Table Challenge - Spicy Veggies & Noodles




Again with the raving about The Food Matters Cookbook - I don't think we've yet tried a recipe from it that wasn't great. And I love that I own a cookbook that includes recipes for everything I have coming out of the garden at any given time - currently spring onions, garlic, carrots, squash, green beans, and hot peppers. The veggies are stir fried, then tossed with brown rice noodles and a sauce made of coconut milk, peanut butter, honey and soy sauce. Seriously good, and I don't even like squash.

The best part of this book is the options he gives for substituting. If you don't have peanut butter, try almond butter, cashew butter or tahini. If you don't have zucchini and eggplant (as the original recipe called for) try any summer squash, green beans, etc. You never end up hunting for some strange ingredient at the store - most recipes can be created by the things any healthy eater already has in her pantry and fridge. Creative recipes using 'normal' foods. I like that.

===

For dessert: remember the strawberry lemonade from last summer? It also makes really good popsicles.




1 comment:

Wendy said...

ooh - good idea on the popsicles. I made some strawberry lemonade concentrate that is a bit on the sweet side. Bet they would make great popsicles! I love a cookbook that gives options. that's always helpful!