Sunday, September 23, 2007

Music Appreciation

Why didn't I think of this sooner? I found a fun way to entertain both kids, while focusing on an important part of Chloe's childhood education. :o)

We spent the last couple hours downloading and listening to all the important songs that every kid should know:

Lollipop - the Chordettes
My Girl - the Temptations
Wipeout - the Beach Boys
Yellow Submarine - the Beatles
Big Girls Don't Cry - Frankie Valli
La Bamba - Richie Valens
The Chicken Dance
Itsy Bitsy Teeny Weeny Yellow Polka Dot Bikini - Brian Hyland
La Cucaracha
Puff the Magic Dragon - the mamas and the papas

Isn't that a wonderful playlist? We did some creative movement (dancing like crazy people around the living room), some real dance steps (is the Chicken Dance not real dancing?), understanding rhythm (clapping our hands and marching to the beat), undertanding soprano vs. alto & such as well as harmonizing (they aren't called the Chordettes for nothin'!) we giggled a lot, practiced making the Lollipop 'pop', and sang along to all the songs. Plus, it was great exercise. Cora was happy as can be in my arms while I did the Twist.

I know there are other fun songs - anyone have any suggestions?

4 comments:

Jan said...

I know you're not even as old as some of my kids, but here's one that my mother and I danced to and sang when I was a kid, i did the same with my kids and grandson and am thinking of going upstairs and singing it to my husband:
http://www.brownielocks.com/purplepeopleeater.html

Sounds like you had a fun day!

Tricia said...

Joy to the world? the one that goes "Jeremiah was a bullfrog.." and how about Limbo? :o)~ what a fun activity!!

Julie said...

oooh you guys rock! Great songs, thanks!

Tricia said...

hey i am totally happy to help.. cause I am gonna totally steal this idea lol :o)~ I think its great!!