Sunday, August 23, 2009

Reasons I hate birthday parties.

1. I become convinced, within 30 minutes of the start of the party, that everyone thinks I suck.

2. I always make too much food, which means we eat party leftovers for a week. This year we had a luau - fruit and pork are on the menu, breakfast, lunch and dinner,for the next six days.

3. I hate it when people feel obligated to buy my child presents. I appreciate them, tremendously, but I still hate the way it feels.

4. I always worry about whether we will have enough people. And then when enough people confirm attendance, I worry about having too many.

5. I'm not allowed to get drunk if I'm the one hosting the party.

6. The day of the party I turn into "Hostess-zilla" and begin ordering my poor husband around as if he were a scullery maid, throwing mini- temper tantrums if he has The Nerve to sit down for a break or doesn't do something just as I might have, and then dealing with the guilt from my behavior afterward.

7. Decorating birthday cakes is akin to leg-hair removal by tweezers. It's tedious and painful.

8. Stress! Stress about everything! Stress about the people, stress about the food, stress about cleaning the house, stress about flippin' everything.

I SHOULD NOT THROW PARTIES.

That said, the party was pretty much a success. I'll post pictures tomorrow. :o)


3 comments:

Dani said...

You stress too much over parties!!! They are supposed to be fun, especially kid parties!!!

Just Me said...

Well, I didn't feel the least bit obligated to buy Cora a present. We did because we wanted to. She's adorable and sweet, and it gives me someone to buy cutesy girl things for, since I only have boys.

Wendy said...

I totally relate to #6! Sounds like the party was fantastic though! I think Martha Stewart (or some other cook/hostess person) said something about how as a hostess, you need to relax and have fun b/c if you're running around trying to make everything perfect, your guests sense that, and it changes the dynamic a bit. I think that sort of puts things in perspective. I personally DO feel obligated to buy a gift (that's just reality), but never mind doing so. It's fun! On the receiving end, we get way to much worthless crap (not to be unappreciative or anything!) but I think that's OK too b/c they don't usually get a lot of worthless crap, so it's just so fun for them too, you know? It's all good! Happy belated!