Friday, July 16, 2010

Self-Inflicted Torture

If there's one thing I know for certain about myself, it's that I don't handle constructive criticism well. At all. I hate feeling like anyone is judging me, probably because I'm perfectly capable of judging myself.

That fact alone renders it completely ludicrous that I enter my needlework projects into the fair every year. I spend months working on these projects, hours and hours of knitting, and then I put them out there for all the world (well, okay, the county) to judge.

I entered five projects this year. As I was filling out the paperwork and attaching my little tags to the projects, I'm pretty sure I came this close to having a heart attack. Or at least a nervous breakdown.

I realize this is ridiculous. For Heaven's sake, it's the county fair. And yet still, I'll now sit for three days with a mix of dread and anticipation as I wait to see how my hard work is judged, to see what little notes the judges write on the backs of my tags. I have this horrible vision of reading "Wow, you really kind of suck" on a tag, and crawling into a hole somewhere to cry.

I haven't yet figured out why I torture myself this way, and yet I keep going back, year after year.

===

If you're a knitter and you haven't read Mason-Dixon Knitting Outside the Lines by Kay Gardiner and Ann Shayne, you should. One of them wrote a piece on entering a project in the fair, and she does a beautiful job of summing up the stress and the excitement. It made me laugh out loud as I identified with every sentence she wrote.

4 comments:

Kelly Knight said...

Ya know, I tried knitting once. Santa brought Mary this little kit for Christmas. I figured it couldn't be to terribly difficult. After all, the box said for ages 6 and up. Well, I sat there for 2 hours trying to figure it out. Then I put it in the trash and that was that!
I think if you can use those to sticks to turn balls of yard into anything other then a knot, you get kudos from me!

Anke said...

Are you going to show us your projects? Pretty please... I bet they are beautiful and I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you.

Julie said...

LOL Kelly, thanks! It helps to have an experienced knitter show you how to do it, and once you figure it out, it makes perfect sense. And it's like riding a bike, once you learn, you never forget. Thanks for stopping by!

Anke - I'll take some photos when I go up to the fair to see how things did. Thanks for your support!

Wendy said...

I also am looking forward to hearing how you did! Do they give prizes? Definitely take some photos!!