Sunday, September 11, 2011

Notes on Preserving: Frozen Eggs



Wanna see something gross?

Yum... egg cubes!

I realize how nasty this looks (and sounds) but chickens don't lay nearly as many eggs in the winter, and that's not too far off. So I'm trying to be proactive. I looked at many different articles about freezing eggs and settled on this one from Chickens In The Road. The technique is simple - crack the eggs into a colander, smash the yolks, and let the eggs drain through into a bowl. The resulting mixture is then poured into ice cube trays and frozen. Two cubes is about equal to one egg.

Note: eight year old little girls love cracking eggs. Two dozen eggs kept mine happily busy for half an hour.

I don't plan on cooking up a batch of scrambled eggs with these, but I figure they'll be useful in all the winter baking that we usually do.

I've also heard that you can just stick whole eggs in the freezer and then thaw and use them successfully. Has anyone tried that? What other methods for preserving eggs are there - I'm open to suggestions!



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've tried freezing them with their shells on-- the shell breaks, kinda like a sealed glass jar: the liquid expands. Your ice cube trays sounds much more functional. If we ever have more than we can use, I'll try that. Thanks!

Wendy said...

that's really really smart! I need to tell my parents who are up to their eyeballs in duck eggs and goose eggs.