Saturday, September 11, 2010

Garden to Table Challenge - Week Four

Have you ever scrubbed carrots? Not store-bought carrots, but ones pulled right out of the ground? Man, carrots are filthy vegetables. I only had to wash about ten pounds of them, but my hands are raw and sort of orange-tinted, my back aches from standing at the sink for so long, and well... ugh. Harvesting carrots = great fun. Washing carrots = not much fun at all.

Since I'm currently standing knee deep in carrots, my Garden to Table Challenge recipe this week is - you guessed it - a carrot recipe. This one is great as a side dish to an Asian entree, or just piled on top of basmati rice for a simple lunch.


Sesame-Ginger Carrots
1 lb carrots (fresh or frozen) sliced into coins
3 Tbsp. dried minced onion
2Tbsp. sesame seeds
1/2 tsp. sea salt
1/2 tsp. ground ginger
1/8 tsp. pepper
4 Tbsp. butter
2 tsp. molasses

Saute the carrots, onion, sesame seeds, salt, ginger and pepper in butter for 4-5 minutes or until tender. Stir in molasses and serve.

Be sure to stop by Greenish Thumb for more links to this week's Garden to Table Challenge recipes!


2 comments:

Wendy said...

sounds simple and delicious - and like something kids would love too! I don't use molasses nearly enough. That stuff's really good for you, right?

Anonymous said...

'Gonna try this one for breakfast tomorrow-- thanks! A neighbor just gave us a bagfull of carrots :-)
I'll use honey in stead of molasses, and my coconut butter... getting hungry-- thank you!
--Life.