Monday, May 19, 2008

Eatin' Greens




A basket full of spinach and lettuce. Yum! Chloe picked all the spinach off, which she loved. I steamed the bigger spinach leaves and turned it into a few dinner's worth of baby food. The lettuce and remaining spinach should provide salads for lunch and dinner for a couple days.

It thrills me to no end that I can take a handful of seeds, give them the proper care, and turn them into wholesome food for my family. Silly, I guess, but it's one of those simple little things that brings me immense pleasure.

I'm happy to report that two of my tomato plants have lots of little flowers, and the other five are at least growing and have not died. (For awhile there right after they were transplanted, they looked very miserable.) My beets are showing their happy little leaves finally, and the peas are blooming. The corn is tall enough now to be thinned, but I haven't gotten that far.

I'm really not a very good veggie gardener, but I don't care - I love it anyway. :-)

===

It was a fun homeschool day! We went fishing, just the girls, my mom and I. We caught three fish. Chloe had no problem picking up the fish and holding them, and even watched a little bit while my mom cleaned them. I was impressed. I'm calling it educational. LOL We got some great sunshine, had a picnic lunch at the lake, and Chloe played in mud and water to her heart's content. She also got some good lessons on being careful about fish hooks - we nagged her constantly about it. Thankfully she didn't get stuck, and learned to watch out for them.

She did some plastic canvas sewing this afternoon. She got frustrated so we put it away for now, but she at least got the basic gist of it. Definitely educational, don't you think?

And she spent a good portion of time creating a treasure map, and then made up parts for Cora and I to play while she was the captain and located her treasure. Cora was the naughty troll. LOL It was cute, and fun.

===

Oh oh! I forgot to mention that our wee one is officially crawling! Not fast, but she has the basic concept down. I love this stage - so much fun. Chloe better watch out before long though, she'll be following her sister everywhere she goes.

1 comment:

Dani said...

Lilli made me buy her a coconut once. I didn't think it was awful, but she did. Needless to say I was eating coconut for a few days. BLAH. Have you thought about grating it and sweetening it yourself?



Delaney is always the "Evil Giant" so it's funny to me that Cora was the "Angry Troll". LOL