Thursday, November 8, 2007

Childhood Fearlessness




She's eating a pomegranate for the first time.

It's a great example of how kids at this age are relatively fearless and trusting. I say "Chloe, try this, it's good." And she does. If it's me that's trying a new food, I'm questioning what all is in it, etc. before I'll even taste it, and even then I do it with great caution.

I love that Chloe's not scared of things immediately like I am.

___________________________________________________________

We've had a few really good days, minus my crabbiness at night sometimes. Yesterday we went to the library, went to the park with new friends, did lots of fun things around the house.

Cora's figuring out that she can grab things with her hands, and her little play mat with the toys dangling down from it entertains her for long periods now. She's also sort of laughing out loud. I wish I could get it on video to share, it's so damn cute. It's impossible to describe, but it involves some very cute, girly little squeals that delight us to no end. Peek-a-boo is now a favorite game.

We're trying to bring Chloe's reading to the point where she can read simple books. The problem is that when she sees pictures, she just guesses what the words say and kind of makes it up as we go along. I have to remind her to sound out the words. She does better if I just write sentences on a piece of paper, and let her draw the pictures after she figures out what it says. She's been playing this Reader Rabbit game on the computer that used to be my little brother's. It's about 12 years old, and very simplistic compared to most of the games she plays, but she likes it, and it's teaching her tons.

It's taken 2 and a half months, but I finally feel like a normal person again, not all frazzled and overwhelmed. Having two kids is way cooler than just having one - I don't get bored nearly as often. :o)

No comments: