Friday, June 6, 2008

Dog hair removal system

I'd like to preface this post by stating that, in general, I am a reasonably good housekeeper. I'd rather not eat off my kitchen floor, but I probably wouldn't die of some horrible communicable disease if I did.

That stated, I'd like to tell you a little story.

Whenever we have company, be it friends,family, whoever, I always insist that they sit either on the rocking chair or the recliner... or even the floor. But I sincerely advise them not to sit on my couch, unless they really want to be covered in coarse black hairs. (This warning does not apply to my in-laws, however. I've never told them.) Ashley didn't believe me one time, so she took a closer look. I won't repeat what she said, but it started with "holy" and ended in "it." 'Nuff said.

The thing is, Isabel loves to sleep with us, but we don't like having a 97 pound dog laying on top of our legs while we sleep, so we kick her off our bed. Her second favorite spot is the couch. And she spends a LOT of time on that couch. With a 97 pound dog, you're bound to have a lot of dog hair falling off of her, and embedding itself into the fibers on the couch upholstery. It doesn't just lay there so you can vacuum it off. It's like the couch sucks it in half way, so you have to fight to get each hair out.

When we were at the vet the other day for Izzy's broken tail (which by the way, is not actually broken. She's just clumsy and hyper-extended her tail) I saw the little assistant girl lint-rollering the chairs in the waiting area. Hark! I'd never thought of that! I purchased a two-pack of lint rollers. I just spent half an hour lint rollering my couch. I used both rollers. All of the sheets of tape on each roller. It MIGHT be good enough to let someone sit on it without cringing. And in order to keep it that way, I'll probably have to lint roller my couch every other day. Milo, I'm sure, is thrilled at the thought of this, as anything that moves back and forth rather quickly must certainly be a toy, intended to be clawed to shreds by his gleeful little kitten claws. This, apparently, includes lint rollers and the hands that use them.

I was going to post a picture of the piles of lint roller tape, but I decided that might be kind of gross.

I think I'm going to teach Chloe how to use a lint roller...


No comments: