Monday, February 25, 2008

"Multi-tactic entertainment technique"

Dani asked how I manage to get any knitting done. I employ what I like to call a "multi-tactic entertainment technique."

I start by getting Chloe doing some worksheets or any other project that requires only verbal participation from me. She's easy.

I've come to realize that 6 month old babies are a lot like kittens. If it flops around and they aren't really supposed to have it, it will entertain them for quite some time.

There's nothing so tantalizingly floppy as the ball of yarn attached to whatever it is you are currently working on. Baby will be happy to knot and twist and mangle the yarn, keeping you extra busy trying to untangle while squeezing in a few rows' worth of knitting time.




The ball of yarn tactic is generally good for 10 or 15 minutes, especially if it's got some shiny threads in it or appears to taste particularly good.

Once you hear the "ahhhhhhhhhhh" that signals the end of this round, move on to tactic #2: the cell phone. Another one of those fascinating items they aren't really supposed to have, good for at least another 5 minutes. Just make sure you're not too attached to that phone - I've heard baby slobber has been known to render a cell phone battery completely useless.



By this time, hopefully you've managed to knit a few rows. When you see this face:

... you know it is time to hurry up and finish that last row before you reach 'baby meltdown phase' which is to be avoided at all cost.

Do that a few times a day for 6 weeks, and you just might be able to finish a sweater! :o)

3 comments:

Tricia said...

Julie you have the best sense of humor.. I find myself checking your blog a few times a day to read and see what you have to say.. and this one was definitely something cute and fun to read!! Kudos!

Dani said...

Delaney loves yarn, but nothing entertains her for more than 2 minutes at a time, except for Lilli or the dog. But she likes to pull Lilli's hair and Tasha's ears, so that doesn't tend to last very long either. Plus she's really on the move now. ::sigh:: I've come to the conclusion that I'm not going to do anything until she's 18 because she is the wild child. LOL

Kim said...

I had to laugh at the baby slobber-cell phone comment. Last year, Andrew got ahold of my cell phone and slobbered all in it. The thing was soaked. Then it didn't work for 2 weeks. Of course, that's "water damage" so the cell company wouldnt do a thing. But, after about 2 weeks, it dried out and worked fine! LOL