Saturday, January 12, 2008

Domestic Talent

I knit, crochet, and sew. I'm a pretty good cook, a keep a fairly clean house. I enjoy doing all the domestic things our mothers and grandmothers did so well.

But when it comes to cake decorating, that is where my domestic talent comes to an abrupt stop.

Exhibit A:


Okay, so it doesn't look all that bad in the picture. Just don't look too closely. In real life, it's pretty awful by my standards. But then, my standards may be a bit skewed - I grew up with a mother who decorated cakes and sold them. Her cakes were gorgeous and everyone around knew it. I will never be like my mother in that regard. I dread birthday parties because of the cake. It takes me all day long to get it done, between baking it, making the frosting, decorating it, making more frosting because I run out, and decorating it some more. And now I have a baby, which means nearly the entire cake was decorated one handed while I held a baby on my hip. And then there's the clean-up. Ugh. Yeah. I am not, nor will I ever be, a cake decorator.

But Chloe thinks it's pretty great, so that's really all that matters.

==

I'm sitting here blogging, trying to drink down a tall glass of apple-cucumber juice. Three apples and 3/4 of a cucumber through the juicer this morning, trying oh so hard to be a little bit healthier. It's actually pretty good - it tastes like a sour apple jolly rancher. But the after taste is distinctly cucumber, and cucumber makes me gag. So I'm not breathing through my nose. :-P All this eating healthier is having a splendid effect on my weight though - I weighed 124 lbs this morning. I haven't weighed that little since before Chloe was born! I rather like it.

===

I casted on for a sweater for Cora in that Pitter Patter yarn the other day. I got about 10 rows done and decided it reminded me too much of Easter Bunny puke to continue. I'm not a pastel person. Neither of my girls look all that great in pastels, and frankly, I am just sick of pink right now. So the Easter Bunny vomit will go back in the bin until someone I know has a baby girl and I can knit them up a big pile of puke and curse them with more pastels. :-D

In the meantime I've started a Lace Slant Hat in this yarn. So far, I'm in love. I want it done by tomorrow so I can wear it, but I doubt it will happen unless I knit all night.

===

Well, I guess I better quit blogging and go get stuff ready for the party this afternoon. 6 children that aren't mine... wish me luck!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That's an incredible cake!! I'm sure Chloe had a blast :)