Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Grease and preservatives - yum!

So I'm doing this whole eating healthy thing. Not just a diet - I intend to change my eating habits to create good ones, a permanent change. And so far, I really am doing pretty good. But every so often, I feel a little bit deprived, and I don't do well with deprivation.

When I feel like something is taken away from me, I do everything I can to get it back. It's probably residual from my rebellious teenage years.

So yesterday, I suddenly got a craving for McDonald's. I wanted grease and preservatives more than anything else in the world. And I almost went. I mean, we're talking I had Cora changed and ready to go, the car was heating up, and I was about to call Chloe to put on her shoes when I stopped dead in my tracks and realized that I had succumbed to a moment of temporary insanity (or was it rebellion?) and managed to stop myself.

I decided it made a lot more sense to bake cookies instead. ;o)

I called Chloe up and said "I really want to bake some cookies, but I need help. Will you help me?" She says "Sure! You put all the stuff in the bowl. I'll be the washer for the spatula and mixer." (Read: you bake the cookies. I'll lick the spoon.)

So we baked 5 dozen chocolate chip cookies, complete with white sugar and lots of butter. As of last night, there were 4 dozen left.

I know what you're thinking. No, I didn't eat a whole dozen cookies all by myself. I'm not *that desperate for sugar. I had two, Chloe had one, and Isabel had 9 or 10. You would think by now I'd have learned my lesson - EVERY single time I bake cookies, the dog snatches at least a few off the counter while they're cooling. She apparently craves sugar as much I do.

Around Christmastime, Chloe and I baked some cookies using her letter cookie cutters. We spelled out "Merry Christmas". We baked them and had them cooling on the counter. I came back in to check on the next batch, and the dog was looking up at me with guilt and satisfaction written all over her face. I looked at the cookies on the counter. "MERRY MAS" was all I saw. My dog ate Christ. :o/ Bad dog.

==

Well, we've had our healthy smoothies this morning, and we're off to Michael's for craft class, then off to a play date this afternoon. Hopefully today goes by faster than yesterday, because by four o'clock yesterday afternoon I was mildly insane. :o)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was just thinking, with you doing school with Chloe, have you ever gone on a website called www.starfall.com ? We go on there with Andrew to practice letter sounds, but they have more advanced stuff on there as well. Just thought I'd let ya know in case you haven't heard of it.

Julie said...

Yep, we have Starfall on the list of games she can play. She's not real big on it though. Every so often I'll sit and do it with her, but she won't pick that if she has the choice.